Wednesday 9 March 2016

Evaluation question 5 DRAFT

How did you attract/address your audience?

On my front cover I have used a bold masthead to attract my audience, this is similar to most magazines such as Loud&Quiet, Clash etc. My masthead is positioned in the centre, being bold and the biggest text. This will be the first part of the magazine that the audience will notice as it is the largest text on the front cover. In a magazine most consumers intend to read the page from the top band downwards which explains why I placed this layer there. This allows my magazine to be easily noticeable on shops shelves etc. The font I used was 'Dolce Vita' as this is bold and stands out. This makes my magazine easily noticeable as the masthead will grab the attention, forcing them to view the whole cover/magazine. This was inspired by conventions of some of the magazines I have researched in the way that they also use similar bold, bulky fonts for their front page mast heads, an example is Loud and Quiet magazine or Clash magazine, being aware that other magazine in the market use this is re-assuring that it will appeal to my selected target audience.


My model is wearing the appropriate clothing to appeal to my target audience. I have my models wearing 'casual' clothing or clothing associated with football hooligans. These are what my target audience are interested in, so having my models wear the clothing will attract more people to my magazine. I have my models stood with a city behind with multiple buildings in the background, to add the 'street' effect to my magazine, to also appeal to other audiences. 


My cover lines are simple being the bands name across the front of the cover page, underneath is a quote I made for the band as their motto. My first cover line of 'The Palaver' will attract the audiences as they will want to find out about the upcoming band and will want to know who it is that is featuring on the cover. I have used minimal cover lines such as the issue number, price and date. Compared to Clash magazine with their cover line smaller than the masthead but it is still large and bold. This expresses the main artist within the magazine; it also has smaller cover lines which express the other artists/bands within their magazine. 


On my contents page I used various bands to attract as many audiences as I possibly could, all in the genre that I had chose for my music magazine. I kept my products contents page, very simple in the way it is easy to navigate around the page and read all of the text. I included 3 images on my contents page, with 2 being in black and white and one kept in colour. When making my contents page, I was inspired by Clash magazine with the text going down the left hand side of the page. I thought this structure was effective as the reader can read straight down to find their favoured artists or articles quickly. I also used black rectangles to separate the different parts of the contents page, with the different parts under their headings, such as an interview section with the multiple interviews listed below the heading.

On my double page spread I include an introductory line of 'The Rise of The 'Palaver' this tells the reader what the article is going to be about and what the content will be. The text is in columns on the left page, usually the text is on the right and the image is on the left. However, I followed Clash magazines structure of the opposite way around. My article was in columns on the left page with the image of one of The Palaver who regularly features in the article. In my article I have used language associated with my audience of slang words. This might help appeal to my audience as they will be attracted to the text and the content of my article. The band will also be known in this genre with the audience being automatically attracted wanting to read the article to see how they live their day to day lives.

I have the image on one of the pages with my model leaning against a rail on the top floor of a car park, this adds effect as it makes the image seem street and lets the audience know that the magazine may appeal to them letting them know what the content will be based around and how things are interpreted.

1 comment:

  1. You need to analyse your DPS in greater depth. Analyse the content and language used in your article and consider how and why this might appeal to your audience.

    ReplyDelete